Your electricity price is probably something that you dread in both the winter and summer months. This is because during the summer months you are trying to stay cool and during the winter months you are trying to stay warm. This article is going to help you be able to save on your electricity bill during both the winter and the summer months.
Summer Saving Tips
- If you do not have blinds or other window covering up you will want to invest in them. Once you have them up you will want to keep them closed during the day time to keep your air in and the heat out.
- Instead of using air conditioning consider using ceiling fans and window fans as they use less electricity.
- Try to only use your air conditioning unit when it is really hot outside.
- When you are going to be gone from your home for a long period of time cut off your air conditioner.
- Make sure you are cleaning or replacing the filters on your air conditioner every month.
- Set your thermostat to 74 degrees if you do not have it set there already and you will be able to save up to 5% on your electricity costs
- If you live in a home consider planting some trees in your yard because they will shade your home from the sun which will help keep your home cooler.
- If possible make sure that your air conditioning unit is shaded. Air conditioning units that are sitting in the sun are using 5% more energy than those that are shaded.
Winter Saving Tips
- Make sure your thermostat is no higher than 68 degrees. If you still feel cold put on some socks and a sweater. By keeping it at this temperature you can save up to 5% on your electricity bill.
- When it is sunny outside be sure to leave your curtains open so the sun can come inside of the home and warm up your home.
- Place clear plastic over your house windows. This way you can insure that no cold air is getting into your home in the event that your windows are not winterized.
- While standing inside of your home put caulking around your windows as well as your door frame to help block out the heat.
- Make sure you keep your windows closed as well as your doors to keep heat from escaping out of your home.
- If any of your windows are broken or cracked make sure that you get them repaired right away.
- Consider planting trees inside of your yard so they will be able to break the wind before they get to your homes.
- If your home uses a fireplace make sure that your damper fits tight and keep it closed whenever the fireplace is not in use.
These are the basic things that you can do to insure that your electricity bills are not breaking your wallet anymore no matter what season it may be.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Another great way to save money on your bills is to make sure you are with a cost effective supplier. Visit http://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/ for more information.