When you are told you need surgery, even a “minor” surgery, you deal with a certain level of fear. Often, your concern centers around the competency of your surgeon or the care provided by local hospitals.
There are many surgical specialists in our country, but there has been a shortage of general surgeons in the U.S. Population estimates for 2020 are over 340 million. The number of general surgeons needed to provide adequate care is about 7 general surgeons per 100,000 people.
At this point in time, our country offers approximately 6 general surgeons per 100,000 people. If the ratio of general surgeons to population continues to drop, we’re going to be facing a crisis in 2020.
Angie’s List indicates there are over 300 general surgeons in Oklahoma City! General surgeons in Oklahoma City are competent, considerate and cognizant of your hopes and expectations regarding your upcoming surgery.
Technically, a general surgeon has experience in several areas, usually abdominal (esophagus, stomach, bowels, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder), thyroid, skin (non-cosmetic), breast, soft tissue and hernias. This all-around educational knowledge is why general surgeons are in demand now more than ever.
The bad news / good news is, at least 30% to 50% of general surgeons will narrow their area of expertise. These specialties and sub-specialties often include:
- Trauma surgery – This is the most demanding of specialties; the trauma surgeon is the first point of contact following serious injury and often must be able to stabilize critically ill patients. General surgeons are able to respond to surgical emergencies.
- Laparoscopic surgery – The wave of the future, laparoscopy uses cameras and tiny instruments inserted into small incisions. This is the most minimally invasive specialty to date, and recovery is usually much better than with traditional surgery.
- Colorectal surgery
- Breast surgery (non-cosmetic)
- Vascular surgery for minor vascular disorders
- Endocrine surgery
- Dermatological surgery
U.S. News data provides rankings on nearly 5,000 hospitals across the country. No matter where you live, you can learn about your local medical centers and how they are rated. If you’re not able to have surgery in Oklahoma City, here are five other cities for U.S. surgeons:
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
- New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, New York, NY
If you have an upcoming surgery in Oklahoma City, you can take comfort in knowing that general surgeons in Oklahoma City are able to provide superior healthcare at the best hospitals available.
- License: Royalty Free or iStock source: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/images/results.aspx?qu=surgeon&ex=1#ai:MP900313994|
Jake Alexander is a writer who discusses health and wellness. Follow him @JakeAlexander17.