How To Report An Accident At Work To The HSE

Reporting an accident to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is a legal requirement if the incident leaves an employee or self-employed contractor unable to work for more than three consecutive days, including the weekend.

This means an injured worker must be unable to carry out normal duties at work for at least four days in a row for an incident to be reportable.

Lapses in safety procedures in workplaces can cause serious and even life changing injuries – and reporting an accident not only means helping the injured worker, but also helping prevent anyone else from being injured in a similar accident in the future.

The sort of accidents at work which should be reported to the HSE include:

  • Road traffic accidents and those involving industrial vehicles like fork-lift trucks
  • Road traffic accidents which involve employees, self employed workers and/or members of the public eg bus accidents, taxi accidents, industrial vehicles injuring members of the public
  • Work accidents involving workers and/or members of the public on a work’s premises eg in a shop, office or recycling centre.

The Health and Safety Executive now has an online form which can be filled in to report accidents, as well as incidents which might involve workers or members of the public coming into contact with materials like asbestos eg in a shop or bank.

Reporting an incident may seem a serious matter – and the HSE takes breaches of health and safety at work very seriously. Any injuries which could have been prevented by following the HSE guidelines, as well as any breaches of safety guidelines, will be investigated and could result in prosecution of employers.

workplace accident

Many workers face permanent disability every year as a result of simple and avoidable safety lapses when cleaning machinery, jams and blockages in machinery – or simply because a safety guard was removed and not put back in place.

The HSE site provides information on RIDDOR (Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995) which puts duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the Responsible Person) to report serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses).

There are a few different methods of reporting the incident which are:

  • Complete report online – the form will be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database and a copy will be sent to you
  • Telephone call the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm)

Reporting injuries can help the HSE do its job to keep workers safe and well in the workplace.

Injuries at work can sometimes be life-changing. Ensure that you have a good solicitor that can help you claim substantial compensation.

Photo source:

Speak Your Mind


Spam protection by WP Captcha-Free